Sign in to follow this  
supersupporter

So how did the Springboks win the World Cup? | A Squidge Rugby Deep Dive

I watched this during the weekend and I have to admit. It swayed me. I never was a Rassie fan by any means. Neither a Jantjies fan. 

The way this guy has analysed it, I will put me hand up and say that I’m convinced. 

He has done a similar analysis of the final on its own. Don’t know if you’ve  seen it. 

• Like 1

Interesting Vlag. 

I think most of us had picked up on the bench being the best in the WC. However I also remember most whining about Faf kicking the ball too much. Jantjes has always been useful with front foot ball so that didn’t surprise me too much.  Not too sure on the captaincy issue as I am still not sure Kolisi is there on merit. Some said that about John Smit but I always rated him as superior to Bismarck.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, taipan said:

However I also remember most whining about Faf kicking the ball too much.

That was me too, 100%. 

18 minutes ago, taipan said:

I must go and look at that thread.

I would be surprised if I hadn’t said anything about it. My family was getting sick and tired of my constant bitching about Faf, especially after the sudden arrival of Herschel Jantjies who, to me was like the coming of the Messiah. :36_11_6:

I am not sure if you guys recall, but I think it was Hansen who picked up on it, but before the game, Faf and Herschelle were sent out to practise the box kick, the tactic Rassie had no intention to use other than let Eddie think it was. Stroke of genius.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

Dan Cole is slower than the inanimate object he is named after :)

At 11m 20 or so

There was also a comment about Vunipola that flashed up on screen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supersupporter said:

Just been busy :) 

Must have been a hell of an adaptation for you to suddenly having to work from home. 😄

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:10 AM, supersupporter said:

I am not sure if you guys recall, but I think it was Hansen who picked up on it, but before the game, Faf and Herschelle were sent out to practise the box kick, the tactic Rassie had no intention to use other than let Eddie think it was. Stroke of genius.

The combination of brawn AND brains - lethal!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J1M1 said:

The combination of brawn AND brains - lethal!!

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, you baffle them with bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually I don’t think they changed the game plan

• Like 1

I still think England approached that game with the wrong attitude. On 2 occasions their arrogance in the danger zone got them in trouble, any team in a world cup final would kick for safety, but the might England, well so they thought at the time, chose to throw the ball around and suffered the consequences.

For me the cherry on the cake was still Itoje and Sinckler not wanting the medals on their necks, still not sure what that was about, I just think that 2 black men do not like a rich white man putting a rope on their necks. :) I'll get my coat.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

Reminds me of this.

There is a reason for that, Weda. AFAIK, wrestling is not a massive sport in Norway, least of al Greco-Roman. Often those countries’ wrestling contingent is a handful of guys. Much like our guys after re-admission. Our entire team for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics consisted of five guys. A team manager/coach, an official and the three wrestlers Bennie Labuschagne, Tjaart du Plessis and Johan Rossouw. 

This was a great result for the Norwegians. They only had two wrestlers in 2016 and both won medals. The other one was a silver. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke