Guest Blue

KEVIN GIVES THE FACTS

Guest Blue

Kevin-Anderson-looks-120803G300.jpg Kevin Anderson © Gallo Images

Anderson sets the record straight

14 September 2012, 08:12

Kevin Anderson has taken to the Internet to clarify his reasons for electing not to play for South Africa in their crucial Davis Cup World Group playoff against Canada.

In an open letter on his blog, Anderson bemoans what he calls the misrepresentation of facts in the media, and feels it is now time to "set the record straight".

"I do not think forming opinions which are based on inaccurate information is fair or beneficial. Additionally, I've heard statements that are not only incorrect but also out of touch with the reality of professional tennis," he states.

He goes on the explain that several factors must be considered in order to be a successful tennis professional.

"Besides motivation and hard work, one needs to find a way to stay healthy. I have learned that this requires proper tournament scheduling and rest periods. Another major factor is having a strong support team. Due to the success I have experienced so far, I can finally afford to employ a fulltime coach and physiotherapist. However, as one can imagine this is very expensive.

"The prize money for someone with my ranking is not as much as you might expect when compared to the costs of life on tour. Tennis South Africa (TSA) has never provided financial support or funding to help cover the costs of playing on the tour."

Anderson says that he approached TSA requesting that they provide sufficient compensation to warrant the increased risk of injury, but that they were unwilling to do so.

"For this tie against Canada, TSA was not able to provide the support that justified me sacrificing my schedule and increasing my risk of injury. If I am injured during Davis Cup play, which happened last year, I receive no support, assistance or insurance from anybody.

"Of course playing for my country is a massive incentive to play, but I would be foolish not to weigh the consequences as well."

Anderson addressed the criticism levelled at his decision to play in the World Team Tennis finals, an event that takes place in the USA over the same weekend as South Africa's Davis Cup tie against Canada.

Anderson's team, the Sacramento Capitals, finished second in the Western Conference, qualifying them for the finals weekend.

South African Davis Cup captain John-Laffnie de Jager described the decision as "shocking and inexplicable".

"I simply can't understand it," De Jager said.

In response, Anderson states that his decision to play WTT finals came months after he had resolved not to take part in the Davis Cup.

"The physical demands of WTT (which consists of a first to 5 games singles and doubles match) cannot be compared to a Davis Cup tie (which potentially involves 3 different 5 set matches over 3 days).

"It has been suggested in the press and by JL de Jager that I fabricated an injury to excuse myself from Davis Cup, while having the intention of playing WTT all along. Not only is this completely untrue and unrepresentative of the facts, but it is also impossible given that the WTT team I will play for had not qualified for the finals until early August."

Anderson points out that many other top players also choose to sit out the Davis Cup, and that discussions around possible changes to the format are ongoing.

"It is ridiculous that in addition to the already demanding tour schedule, there are on average three Davis Cup ties a year. I would like nothing more than to see a new Davis Cup format that would make it easier for all our best players to compete."

He concludes by stating that having a South African player succeed at ATP and Grand Slam events is just as important for the country as the Davis Cup.

"I am a proud South African and I don’t believe I have to prove this by sacrificial Davis Cup participation."

Edited by Blue

It's all SATA's fault.. they don't support the tennis players.. so why should he sacrifice a possible bit of a pay check to go play.

It's not like he is a top 10 ATP player.. so the man has to play paying tournaments in order to make a living.

Guest Blue

With the appointment last year of Bongani Zondi as the New President of Tennis SA they are proud to announce that they are now fully BEE compliant.

12 Board Members all on fat wage packages.

Tennis - News

The official controlling body of tennis in South Africa, previously known as the South African Tennis Association, has changed its name to Tennis South Africa.

Edited by Blue

:3_8_14: :3_8_14: :3_8_14: :3_8_14:

And those fat cats sit on there asses and are the reason why no money is available to those who bloody need it

Guest DennisL

Davis Cup is a pissie tournament anyway. I wouldn't bother either! And for him to cover his own costs!! They must be bloody joking!

Give them the finger Kevin!

TSA = Totally Shitty Arseholes !

Guest Blue

Davis Cup is a pissie tournament anyway. I wouldn't bother either! And for him to cover his own costs!! They must be bloody joking!

Give them the finger Kevin!

TSA = Totally Shitty Arseholes !

205361_453577077988878_1260822352_n.jpg

Guest Blue

Enlighten me please Blue if and how the situation was different 20-30 years ago for all the other SAfricans playing Davis Cup?

Several factors were very different.Besides being a top 5 nation which meant we did not have to play all these extra qualifying matches and all expenses including medical were paid by the SA Federation. Also the Rand was 10 times stronger than the last 25 years which made overseas travel much more affordable. The Controlling Body of TSA was a quarter the size of the current Body so plenty more funds were available for the development of talent.

Guest Blue

Tennis players these days are spoilt.

Only the top 16 in the world make big money. For the balance it is continual battle to afford entering all the Tourneys.

To reach the top you need a manager/coach and a Physio. Few can afford those from SA with the current value of the Rand and no assistance from TSA.

South Africa used to host one of the ATP events, but that is now in the past.

Only the top 16 in the world make big money. For the balance it is continual battle to afford entering all the Tourneys.

To reach the top you need a manager/coach and a Physio. Few can afford those from SA with the current value of the Rand and no assistance from TSA.

South Africa used to host one of the ATP events, but that is now in the past.

Sorry I dispute that. Players have it easier today, if you read up on the history of professional tennis you will understand this.

Not hosting an ATP event has nothing to do with the discussion.

Guest Blue

Sorry I dispute that. Players have it easier today, if you read up on the history of professional tennis you will understand this.

Not hosting an ATP event has nothing to do with the discussion.

Sorry Mr Malema but I have followed Tennis very closely and come from a family of tennis fanatics so lets agree to disagree.

Sorry Mr Malema but I have followed Tennis very closely and come from a family of tennis fanatics so lets agree to disagree.

Wtf has that got to do with Malema.

I suggest again that you read up on the early days of professional tennis. I am getting tired of people you profess to be fans and then cannot be bothered to read up on the history.

This is s good one to start with

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Tennis-1968-1988-Politics-Pressures/dp/082890720X/ref=la_B001HPFGQA_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1348040257&sr=1-6

P.S. was it just last week you were totally wrong about Sandra Reynolds?

Guest Blue

Wtf has that got to do with Malema.

Birds of a feather.

Also you cannot compare the amateur days before the ATP era began.

Birds of a feather.

Also you cannot compare the amateur days before the ATP era began.

Poor argument, if you cannot debate on the facts. Saying you know more because you follow the game is a cop out.

Why not. In any event I was also referring to the professional tours before the open era. Did you even know they existed? And what is the the ATP era? The ATP was founded in the early 70s IIRC. So does the ATP era include the Grand Prix and WCT circuits.

If you bother to read the book I recommended you would know that the author was a prime player in setting up the ATP as we know it.

SATA is a fekking Joke.. an as a country we will achieve sweet blow-all in tennis...

FFS... THIS IS A BALLS UP

My Aiden is sick and the only appointment I could get with the Dr is today at 2pm.. the exact same time as what Declan's semi final tennis matches start

I need a stand in mom.. any takers

Edited by Gen

Several factors were very different.Besides being a top 5 nation which meant we did not have to play all these extra qualifying matches and all expenses including medical were paid by the SA Federation. Also the Rand was 10 times stronger than the last 25 years which made overseas travel much more affordable. The Controlling Body of TSA was a quarter the size of the current Body so plenty more funds were available for the development of talent.

Thanks Blue, I cannot debate yay or nay with you re the matter, my info is very limited. I just wonder if Kevin Curran et al had it easier financially (really yes, around what? 1986 our rand was surely in it's moer in at that time) - did he and other top SA tennis players have their own physio etc etc? And from my side I'm not arguing with you I'm trying to find the info to justify Mr Anderson's take, cos now he has surely started the wheel downwards for youngsters to not play Tennis for SA, and that concerns me.

PM Mata Hari!!

Damn I was just going to suggest you volunteer as a stand in 'nanny' we won't be too fussy about the gender right now...I'm unfortunately unavailable at that specific time slot Gen dear so...sorry girl, hey phone the big man at the office you know, ask him to help out with mom's duties today... Edited by Mata Hari

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke